The quality about rice is the fact that rice can be used in a number of different ways to make the meals. This is the reason rice is popular in almost every continent of the planet, merging with the local traditional food and we see a wide range of rice dishes from east to west.
What Is Gumbo?
Gumbo is actually a stew that is redefined in the state of Louisiana, US which means the state has its own version of ingredients in it to make it more delicious and mouth watering.
The term gumbo is also used to designate either a soup or a stew that combines several varieties of meat or seafood with a sauce made from roux, okra, and Cajun seasoning served over rice. The dish’s Creole origin has lead it to be called “the father of Cajun cuisine”.
Rice And Gumbo:
Rice is one of the most eaten dishes in the southern city of Louisiana. There are many ways to eat rice. For example, you can add your own spices or seasonings to it, making it a whole new dish.
Rice and Gumbo have a lot in common, they are both part of Cajun food family and also go really well together. Rice is the basic ingredient of Gumbo.
What Is The Best Rice For Gumbo?
There are many different types of the rice that we find in the market, from white to brown to red or even black rice etc.
Well you can choose any one of the rice type but it is usually preferred by the chefs to choose the medium grain rice in the making of Gumbo because of the fact that the rice becomes puffy when the meal is cooked so it can soak a reasonable amount of the broth and oily solution which is the main component of the Gumbo and thus 1 cup of rice is enough for 3 cup ingredients of the gumbo.
Some experts say that Jasmine rice and Basmati rice are best rice for Gumbo because of the fact that these two rice types have the ideal grain size that seems perfect in the gumbo.
Checkout The Following 3 Best Rice For Gumbo:
How To Cook Gumbo On Stove?
Gumbo is cooked frequently on a rainy day, or as comfort food after a hard day’s work. This recipe makes a great weeknight meal!
To make this delicious gumbo recipe you will need:
- 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil and Butter
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Celery Stalks
- Green Bell Pepper
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 (10oz) Can Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- Cajun Seasoning (To Taste)
- 6 Cups Water (OR Stock)
- 3 Chicken Breast Halves
- Skinned And Boneless
- Cut Into Pieces or 2 Cups Crab or Shrimp Meat and 2 Cups of Rice.
- First soak the rice in water for 2 hours and then rinse them and put them in rice cooker with 2 cup of water.
- After the cooking of rice take them separate.
- Now on the other hand put all the ingredients on the stove and cook them on a low flame.
- When the meat and veggies start to change color add the rice in the pan and mix the ingredient’s and cover it with the lid and simmer the dish for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now serve it with the sauces to your loved ones.
You can read more precisely about the Gumbo making tricks from these Amazing Cook Books for Gumbo.
Checkout The Following 3 Best Stove:
How To Cook Gumbo In Rice Cooker?
Gumbo can be cooked in a rice cooker, and it tastes best in it.
Please check the following simple method of gumbo making in a rice cooker; obviously you can add the versatility you need in your own gumbo. This section is simply to give you a perspective.
- 1 Cup of Boiled Rice
- 1 Cup of Oil
- Shredded Veggies
- Sausages Chopped
- Tomato Sauce
- Garlic Sauce
- Chicken Slices
- First, take a little oil in the rice cooker’s pot, heat the oil, and fry the chicken slices to the brown.
- Then take it out in the tray and now fry the onions and shredded veggies in the rice cooker like sauté.
- Now add the hard-boiled rice I the pot and mix them all.
- After a few minutes, add the olives and tomato sauce to it.
- Chopped sausages and garlic sauces will be added to it later with the pre-fried chicken slices.
- Slowly heat them all in the rice cooker for about 10 minutes and serve the gumbo to your family or friends.
Trust me, you will love it.
Checkout The Following 3 Best Rice Cooker:
Reading to this point you are now aware of the popularity of this Southern dish of US origin that encapsulates different cultural norms in it and seems the best rice types that are perfect for Gumbo, So why not to give it a shot .You will definitely Love it. Peace!